Goth is a subculture that combines elements of punk and heavy metal. Goths usually wear black clothes, listen to goth music and have dark interests. There are many different styles of goth and the style you identify with might depend on your location, age and gender.
What Are The Main Types Of Goth?
There are two main types of Goth: traditional and modern. Traditional Goths dress in Victorian-style clothes, listen to music from the 1980s or 1990s, wear pale makeup, and have a strong interest in horror films or literature.
Modern Goths dress in black clothing with spikes or chains, listen to contemporary gothic music like Marilyn Manson or The Cure, wear dark makeup like eyeliner or lipstick, and have an interest in horror films or literature.
What are the subcategories Of Goth?
There are many subcategories of goth, such as:
- Classic goth: This style is characterized by dark colors and dramatic makeup. It is usually associated with Victorian culture.
- Elegant goth: This style is characterized by dark colors, but also incorporates lace, pearls, and other feminine details. It’s often seen as an aesthetic that has been popularized by celebrities like Rihanna and Cardi B.
- Industrial goth: This style has deep roots in the punk movement of the 1970s and 1980s.
Types of goths are based on the music they listen to. Some examples are:
- Industrial Goths - Listen to industrial music
- Synthpop Goths - Listen to synthpop music
- Ethereal Goths - Listen to ethereal music
What Are The General Characteristics Of Goth?
- Dark makeup, dark hair and black clothing.
- Obsession with death, darkness and the macabre.
- Gothic clothing is often seen as a way to express one's personality or beliefs.
- Gothic music is a mixture of dark, industrial and ethereal sounds.
- Goths have a fascination with anything that is an outcast, outsiders or the macabre.