Tips to Stay Cool and Chill during Hot Summer Days
How to Beat the Heat in 9 Easy Ways
- Drink lots of water: Drinking water helps you stay hydrated and cool down. You can also have a cold glass of water or ice water to cool off.
- Wear light clothes: Light clothes are not only comfortable but also help you stay cool in the summer heat.
- Wear light clothes and stay away from dark colors
- Stay in the shade: If you are outside, try to stay in the shade as much as possible because it is cooler there than in direct sunlight.
- Take a break from the sun: If you spend too much time in the sun, your body will start to heat up and sweat more which will make it harder for your body to cool down again once you stop being active outside. So if possible, take a break from being outside and go inside every now and then so that your body can cool down.
- Avoid alcohol: Alcohol may make you feel more daring and nonchalant, but it actually makes your body work harder to stay warm.
- Drink caffeinated beverages.
- Avoid the sun during peak hours (11 am to 3 pm)
- Use a fan or air conditioner
- Eat foods that are high in protein and low in carbohydrates
The heat can be deadly. The elderly are especially at risk of health consequences such as heat stroke, dehydration and heart failure due to the extreme temperatures. So if you're an elderly individual who is sensitive to the heat, consider taking a break from being out in the sun for too long.